Indoor plumbing is something we’ve all come to rely on not only for our health but also for sanitation reasons as well.
The toilet is one of those luxuries that we take for granted as long as it’s working but if it happens to not be flushing because the cold weather has caused water main breaks or the water supply gets turned off from non-payment all hell breaks loose.
And when you have a toilet that you can’t flush it’s just intolerable to live with. Below is a quick plumbing hack on how to flush the toilet when the water is off.
Table of Contents
Low Tech Method To Flush Your Toilet Without Water
Remember, that your should already have one flush in reserve as it fills back up after each flush until used again. That means if you suddenly find yourself without water for whatever reason you will have one complimentary flush.
Pour at least 3 quarts of water into a bucket. Take the bucket of water and pour it directly into your toilet bowl’s hole as FAST as you can. The quick pour helps to create a suction which causes the toilet to flush.
The way your toilet is shaped as well as the pressure you help to create from the water in the bucket helps to push your waste through the pipes.
Additional Tips When Flushing A Toilet When The Water Is Off
- Do not pour the water too slowly. Too slow no flush.
- Use at least 4 quarts of water (1 gallon), adjust upwards if necessary depending on the size of your toilet. Not enough water no flush.
- Flush only as often as necessary. Let the color of your waste be your guide as to whether you should flush or not. If the waste is yellow it’s mellow, if it’s brown then drop it down.
- Always pour the water into the bowl, not the tank. It may seem like a logical idea to do so but all you’ll be doing, in the end, is wasting your time and your water.
- Use grey water if at all possible (water from baths, sinks, washing machines, and other kitchen appliances) and not your store bought bottled water. Rainwater works very well too. Drinking water is a treasured asset during times of emergency.
- You don’t have to use the handle on the toilet.
- Fill up a couple buckets of water in advance just in case you were without water longer than you anticipated.