Contact us at (254)-221-7438

Types Of Bathroom Faucets And How To Tell Them Apart

types of bathroom faucets

Types Of Bathroom Faucets

If you’re looking to replace your existing faucet the first thing you need to know is what type of faucet you currently have.

Today we’re going to cover a few examples of the most popular types of bathroom faucets and how you can tell them apart.

There is the centerset faucet, the mini wideset faucet, the full widespread faucet, the single hole and you can always use a single hole with the optional escutcheon plate. Finally, you have the wall-mounted faucet.

Centerset Faucet

centerset bathroom faucet

The most popular type by far is what is referred to as a centerset bathroom faucet. An example is pictured above.

What centerset refers to is that the distance from the middle point of one handle to the middle point of the other handle is 4 inches.

If you have this type of faucet it’s going to give you a number of faucet configurations you can replace it with.

You have the choice of a mini-widespread or a single hole faucet with escutcheon plate.

You can obviously go with another centerset style faucet or you can opt for what is referred to as a mini widespread bathroom faucet.

Mini Widespread Faucet

mini widespread faucet

The mini widespread faucet is going to have the same 4-inch on center configuration but there’s not going to be an escutcheon plate tying the handles and the spout altogether.

Single Hole Faucet

single hole bathroom faucet

You can also go with a single hole bathroom faucet as long as it comes with an optional escutcheon plate to cover up those two other holes.

Widespread Faucet

Now the next most popular type of bathroom faucet is what is known as a widespread bathroom faucet.

An example of this faucet is pictured above. The whole configuration is usually going to be 8 inches from the center of one handle to the other.

Now depending on your application and the faucet you currently have you can’t actually range from 8 to 16 inches on center.

However, if you currently have a widespread bathroom faucet and you want to replace just your faucet you have to go with another widespread faucet.

widespread bathroom faucet

Replacing a Single Hole Faucet

If you are replacing a single hole bathroom faucet you just have a single hole in your sink so you’re going to have to replace it obviously with another single hole faucet.

If you have the centerset configuration you can use a single hole faucet as long as it comes with an escutcheon plate.

single hole bathroom faucet

Escutcheon Plate

Wall-Mounted Faucet

wall-mounted bathroom faucet

The last type of bathroom faucet we’ll cover today is a wall-mounted bathroom faucet.

There are two parts to a wall-mounted faucet, the trim kit, and rough-in valve.

The rough-in valve is inside the wall and trim kit is your handles, your spout, the things you touch and feel.

Your choice of rough-in will largely depend on the type of sink trim you will be replacing. Be sure to get matching brands for your trim and valve.

For example, you wouldn’t want to buy a Danze faucet valve if you are replacing it with an American Standard trim because it’s not going to fit right.

If you’re looking to replace your current wall-mounted faucet you’re most likely going to have to break into your wall and change out your rough-in valve to match your new trim kit.

What Is a Rough-In Valve?

rough-in valve

A rough-in valve is the heart to any bathroom’s trim. Its job is to mix the hot and cold water together and deliver your desired water temperature.

When you’re picking out rough-in valves, depending on the manufacturer, you’re probably going to run into a couple of different options.

Some of the most popular are going to be connection types, the typical is going to be one-half inch for most applications.

Some manufacturers do offer a three-quarters inch inlet in case you have low water pressure or high gallons per minute (GPM) shower application.

Other connection types is going to vary between IPS which is Iron pipe or CXC which is soldered copper.

We recommend that you ask your installer which one they prefer.

Another great option you may want to consider is service stops or screwdriver stops. What they allow you to do is turn your water off at the rough-in valve in case there is an emergency.

Some municipalities do require these in their building codes.

The 6 Most Popular Brands of Bathroom Faucets

Other Posts You Might Enjoy

How to Unclog a Bathtub Drain With Standing Water? Tub Won't Drain If your bathtub won't drain or is draining slowly it's about time you show your drain who's really the boss and unclog the tub so t...
What Is The Difference Between Grout And Caulk Difference Between Grout and Caulk Grout and caulk are two terms that are generally used interchangeably but they mean different things. If you don...
Best Way To Clean Shower Door Tracks Best Way To Clean Shower Door Tracks Shower door tracks are perhaps the dirtiest areas in your shower because most of us don't tend to think about ...
Waste Disposal Unit Reviews – Grind Your Glo... Waste Disposal Unit Reviews Imagine you now have a waste disposal unit for your sink that sits discreetly in the cabin underneath. Then watch as your...

Comments are closed.

Paste your AdWords Remarketing code here