Table of Contents
Why Saving Water Is Important
11.5 million people are affected, 3.2 million people are in urgent need and 1/4 of one million people die every year. Why?
Water is humanity’s basic need. Water effects everything, education, health, poverty, women, children and especially expecting mothers.
Water is essential for all of earth, we need water to grow food, to keep clean, to provide power, to help control fires and to stay alive.
Without water, survival and staying alive is impossible.
The farmers cannot attend to their crops, their crops die.
Livestock and animals become extinct.
Food shortages breakout and poverty become rife.
Education levels drop and children can no longer go to school because they are either too weak, sick or looking for water.
Diseases and viruses become widespread due to old, dirty and infected water being collected.
Did you know that less than 1% of all the water that currently exists on the planet can be used? The rest, 99% of it is saltwater or permanently frozen.
That means only 1% of the water in our lakes, rivers, and groundwater is freshwater available for agricultural, industrial and personal use.
Due to pollution, the quality of this water is under threat. According to the, only .007% of the world’s total water supply is safe for consumption.
As the world’s population grows, we have more and more people using up this limited resource.
The water that is safe for consumption must be shared by the more than 7 billion people on the planet and this water is not evenly distributed throughout the world.
Over the last 100 years, the global population has tripled and water consumption has increased 6-fold but our total water supply has remained unchanged.
This is why all of us have to pitch in and help use our water wisely and not waste it.
But what can you do to help address our water challenges?
So here are some water saving tips:
- Turn off the tap when you are not using it.
- Only use your dishwasher for full loads, this can help save about 400 gallons per month.
- Don’t bathe, shower instead.
- Take shorter showers, every additional minute you spend in the shower wastes 10 gallons of water.
- Take showers together.
- Turn off the water faucet while you brush your teeth. Keep a small spray bottle on your bathroom sink and instead of running water use it to wet your toothbrush prior to applying toothpaste. Think of how much water you’ll be saving with a couple of spritzes.
- Use recycled water. As you’re waiting for your bath or shower water to warm up to the desired temperature, collect the water in a bucket and reuse it in your garden or flowerbed.
- Install a low-flow shower head, toilet and put an aerator on all of your faucets.
- If you wake up in the morning with a full bladder, save money and urinate in the shower. You’ll save up to 3.5 gallons of water.
- Fix leaking taps. A small leak can waste 10 gallons of water each day. A large leak can waste a hundred gallons or more each day.
- Water your plants wisely.
- Avoid washing your car at home, hoses use about 100 gallons of water per wash. Automatic car washes use only about 50 gallons of water per wash. You can even try a waterless car wash product like EcoTouch. They use very little water to clean your car and many times no water at all.
- Use a sponge when you wash your car.
- Only allow restaurant waiters and waitresses to bring you a glass of water if you are planning to drink it.
- If drinking tap water at home is a ritual for you, keep a pitcher in the fridge so you don’t have to run the water until it gets cold.
- Wash fresh fruits and vegetables off in a basin instead of under running water. Use the remaining water to water your plants. This not only gives the plants extra nutrients but you’ll be saving water in the process.
- Save boiled vegetable water and use it as a soup stock.
- Instead of hosing off steps and driveways with a water hose sweep them instead.
Additional Way To Help You Use Your Household Water More Efficiently
The next time you turn on your tap think of all the people who live in places where the water is scarce.
Places like the Southwestern part of the U.S., India, Spain, North Africa, Australia and North China.
The lack of water in some of these countries will claim more than 1 million lives in a single year.
All because of the lack of water.
All it takes to save one life is a drop of water. Together we can make a difference.
Be kind to the environment and use water wisely.
Just remember, when conserving water small changes can make a big difference.